Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ikaria

Hopefully this is going to come through...even blogspot.com is coming up in Greek and I can only hope that I hit the correct buttons and in the right area.

So here is a story...back in Athens we are looking for lunch. You know when we all travel we want to embrace the culture etc. well, I've almost changed my mind and wanted to go to McDonald for a McFarm..whatever that is!

We look for a place for lunch and I just want a jambon and formage pie and what I end up with, oh God make me forget...on the corner inside the meat market a cafeteria where obviously the locals eat and of course Charley the Greek loves all of this and steps right up to the counter. The waiter, cook whatever speaks some English, we want a small plate of veggies and fish? We get, a great greek salad which is interesting over here as it contains no lettuce. Imagine if you will, says Rod Sterling, a plate with sauted ocra in a tomatoe sauce, fava beans, peas, spinach with rice. All yummy but swimming in olive oil. The next plate salt cured perch and smelt. Must have been fried maybe as well? A big plate all neatly displayed like a flower...face, teeth, eyes, bones, everything. charley is just popping them in his mouth - yummy - I cannot even try this stuff and as I am trying to consume the veggies I can't look too much around because there off to my left is a skinned goat hanging upside down and "looking" right at me with its beaty eyes, HELP!

All I can say is now that I'm in Ikaria and the aunties are cooking, it is normal again.

2 comments:

Sheri Nugent said...

Oh God, I about wet myself reading this! Good job blogging in Greek. Hilarious. I would be eating bananas and potato chips - something packaged and American. That lunch sounds sick.

Taylor said...

I miss you so much Mom