Friday, October 3, 2008

Greek Week

Today is the start of the festival. Charley has spent the last two evenings working to set up "his" booth. It always surprises me how much time is put in just to set the loukoumades (donut) maker.

For those of you who have tried these delicious treats, you know they are worth every calorie. I can hardly wait. I'm going on Sunday to work, eat and enjoy the entertainment. One thing I know he really enjoys is sharing his culture and traditions to those around him. He glows when he sees a face in the rush of people that he can sweep behind the scenes for a quick taste of Greek wine or a swig of ouzo. So Morgan, Tyler, Taylor and Dave get ready you will be embraced and introduced to many whose accents can be so strong, its hard to understand what is being said, so go with the old stand-by...nod your head and smile!

Along with the festival...I'm packing for Greece. I've not been on this long of a trip and afraid a carry on just isn't going to cut it. Charley has told me of the item that are a must to bring back and I need an extra suitcase just for this purpose. We still aren't sure of everywhere we're going as we so many choices being in that part of the world. I know a few days in Athens, ten days on the island to enjoy and take care of all the legal and attorney issues (hopefully they will know some English) and of course consumming a goat or two :( I always enjoy a farmers market, but that doesn't mean I want to have all of it for dinner. We'll take a ferry to Turkey, but where are we to go the rest of the time??? Rome, Croatia?? Stop off and see our friends in France? So many decisions and not much time left to really figure it out. I guess it is nice to be so flexible that if you find a place you want to stay for a couple more days, you can actually do it.

So while colleges are dealing with Greek Week so am I!

2 comments:

Sheri Nugent said...

What an adventure - this is so fun. I'm sorry I won't be here Sunday.

Taylor said...

I am SO excited for you and Charley!!!! If anyone deserves a l o n g and luxurious vacation it's you Mom!!!!