Thursday, September 18, 2008

Failed Relationshps

I love reading the thoughts my daughters have to share.

Yesterday Taylor blogged on "relationships" or better put "failed relationships". The way you have learned to communicate is amazing and you and Dave have the best relationship because you have learned to encourage speaking your thoughts and feelings. Dave has no choice but to learn along side of you and I'm sure the conversations you have are priceless.

I must say again today what I have told my family many times in the past, that my own failed marriage has left me without the burden of guilt. We all know I forgave twice and the third time was it. Both girls have over the years been very strong at their opinion that I shouldn't have even gone that far. As I explained many times, I needed to do this for me and what my family meant to me. I needed to be able to be free of questioning myself...did I give it enough tries? I have succeeded with this and only still sad that the "family" wasn't in tact for the future of the girls, husbands and grandchildren but that too, I have discovered is replaceable.

Today, is the first time I have questioned the amount of trying. Is this because Taylor has referenced myself and her dad in her blog? All I can say again, is I'm sorry you girls have had to become a statistic and from the experience can only improve and apply what we have all learned, to our own new relationships.

I'm sorry.

3 comments:

Sheri Nugent said...

My two cents: Do NOT be sorry. It is my opinion that we (mothers and aunt/mothers) are not here to provide happy, seamless lives for our children. We are here to equip the girls to lead successful, fulfilling lives. One of the ways we do that is by providing unconditional love for and acceptance of them. Check - we got that. Another way is to lead by example problem-solving, coping with the realities of life (including a failed marriage and, in my case, wasted time on the wrong guy), and making adjustments when something isn't working. Check - we do good with that one. Third, we never sacrifice the good of the children to fulfill our own selfish adult desires. Kids come first. Check - we did good on that.

So I declare you (and me, to a lesser degree) a 100% Excellent Parent. And I know for a fact the girls would agree with me on these points.

The EVIDENCE that you/we were successful is Taylor's blog post. She learned - LEARNED - from what you experienced. What greater gift could you have given her? And she, in turn, will pass her lessons and insights on to her patients, children, nieces and God-forbid, nephews. :-)

The cycle of life, my sweet sister. It was all as it should be.

Taylor said...

Mommy, Never would I post anything that would make you apologize. You have apaologized way too much as it is. I am fine, WE are fine. If anyone is to be sorry, it is myself for upsetting you. You were an example and a great one. You did what you needed to do and I cannot fault you on that. I am so proud of the wife and mother that you were and are. Thank you for being such a lovely example of class and putting Morgs and I first...much appreciated:) Love you too much...

Lori Emmerton said...

thank you guys for making me cry once again! But also thank you for making me feel better and reassuring me that what I did and how I did it benefited everyone.

Endless hugs.