Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fall Is Here

Just adding to Morgan's fall observation.

Yesterday I started Grandma Nugent's 9 Day Sweets. This is a definate sign of fall. I removed the catnip from my antique pickle jar and have now replace it with bright green cut up cuke's. I will continue the 9 day process and fill the pantry (at least until my sister arrives for a visit with an empty suitcase. and leaving with it full.)

This is a bummer of a summer as I finally have someone else in the family who is interested in canning. Tyler. He wants to make salsa. Unfortunately, due to the crummy weather the tomatoes haven't rippened like they should. This may not be the year to go through everything that is involved in the salsa making. At $l.49/lb for tomatoes as compared to other years at $ 12 a box...this would be the most expensive salsa around. But on the other hand, someone actually wants to help the Little Red Hen???

I must say there it is one of my top feelings of accomplishment when I leave the finished product on the counter until Thanksgiving, just to see how beautiful the jars are.

1 comment:

Sheri Nugent said...

I love the beautiful jars!!! And the salsa and pickles - oh wow!!!!! They going to Cali (ssshhh - don't tell Little Red Hen)